Motorola will cut 4,000 jobs this year, with 3,000 coming from the mobile handset division, the company announced last night. That’s in addition to a 3,000-person cut announced in October, in which 2,000 were part of the mobile division.
The combined rounds of layoffs are expected to save Motorola $1.2 billion this year.
Motorola also said it ended the fourth quarter with $7.4 billion in cash and that it shipped 19 million phones. Revenue is in the low-$7 billion range, with a net loss of $.07-$.08 per share. Final results will be announced the morning of Feb. 3, officials said.
Changes to investment plans along with a company-wise salary freeze and salary reductions for co-CEOs Greg Brown and Sanjay Jha were announced last month.