The Calliope 2 GC02S1 module from Sequans lets you take advantage of wide coverages for IoT devices with data rates to 10 Mb/sec.
Sequans Communications series of Cat 1 IoT modules based on its second generation, LTE Cat 1bis chip, Calliope 2, are now available. The Calliope 2 GC02S1 low-cost, low-power, IoT-optimized modules that support VoLTE and throughput higher than LTE-M for applications including wearables and hearables with music streaming. Other applications include smart city/smart home IoT devices such as security cameras, alarm panels, and utility meters; and data aggregators that can require throughput up to several megabits per second. Calliope 2 GC02S1 modules support three regional Cat 1 variants, which cover North America, Japan, and Europe.
Advancements in Sequans’ Calliope 2 chip technology reduce cost and power consumption, barriers that Sequans says have thus far limited widespread adoption of Cat 1 for IoT. These advancements include
- Higher integration for lower cost
- lower power consumption in both active and power-saving modes, near the level of LTE-M, thus extending the battery life of Cat 1 devices significantly, and
- Advanced signal processing techniques that provide superior radio performance.
LTE Cat 1 is available worldwide on all cellular networks, including those areas where LTE-M and NB-IoT don’t cover. Thus, LTE Cat 1 works well for IoT companies wishing to deploy products globally.
- Support for 3GPP Release 14/15, including PSM and eDRX for ultra-low power consumption
- Cost-effective support for Cat 1bis data rate: up to 10 Mb/sec DL and 5 Mb/sec UL
- Ultra-small “S1” LGA package
- Power supply supports 3.1 V to 5.5 V
- Support for VoLTE and high-quality voice
- Support for external SIM and eSIM as well as integrated SIM and integrated eSIM
- Common Criteria (CC) EAL5+ security for iSIM
- Compatible with Sequans Monarch 2 LTE-M/NB-IoT platform for easy migration among Cat 1, LTE